.Summertime is fast approaching and here come the invites to bbq’s, tailgates and pool parties! So much fun for sure, but how do you navigate the fun and stay on track as you work towards your goals? We are here to help as it CAN be done. A little planning, a little strategizing and you will be on your way to fun in the sun feeling confident! Here are some tips:
· Pre-game like a champ; eat a high volume meal that doesn’t greatly impact your numbers before you go. Low carb, low fat, moderate protein
· Have a plan in place regarding alcohol before you go. Volunteer to be the DD and plan to not drink at all OR set a number of drinks that you will allow yourself; 2-3 at most, and bring along alternative beverages that you enjoy so that you can alternate non-alcoholic drinks with cocktails
· Bring along some food (to share) that you know fits your plan so you will have at least one option to go along with whatever might be offered from the grill
- Spinach salad w/strawberries, chicken and goat cheese
- Tossed salad with grilled shrimp and black beans
- Chicken or shrimp kebabs with veggies
- Fresh mozzarella and sliced tomatoes
- Grilled veggie platter (easy to do ahead at home)
- Fruit platter
- Raw veggie platter w/hummus or dip made from fat free yogurt
- Fruit platter instead of a baked dessert
· Navigate carefully and be a conscious eater. More likely than not you will have grilled proteins to choose from; burgers, dogs, brats, chicken, shrimp, ribs, etc. You know your numbers and which proteins work best for you, choose wisely and if you are low carb, skip the bun and go naked! Beware of salads with mayonnaise and heavy dressings, stay away from pasta and/or potato salads and reach for the green salads instead
· Leave your food scale home please! Social occasions are great opportunities for you to practice what you have learned in regard to portions and of course we can use our hands….
- The palm of your hand is equal to approx. 3 oz (steak, chicken, burgers)
- The size of your fist is equal to about 1 cup (think rice, fruit, veggies)
- Your cupped hand is equal to 1/2 cup or 1 ounce (nuts, etc.)
- Your thumb is equal to approx. 2 tbsp (guacamole, dips, hummus, etc)
- Enjoy yourself! Laugh, talk, socialize, sun yourself, play games, swim
If you are part of our PLT community you have a toolbox full of tools; put them to use and enjoy yourself knowing that you are one day closer to your goals. If you are not following a nutrition plan and would like to start your journey towards your best self and have more confidence about living a healthy life, come join us, we can help.
Hi, I'm Paul Leonard.